From John Barnes
George Town Coa 7th Jany 1817.
The inclosed particulars & general statemt of Genl Kosciusko’s ℀ with me up to 26 Novr last—together with my remarks—will I flatter my self, fully explain to you—(and thro you to the good Genl) the cause of the Balance being thus in my favor—$812. EE.— Owing to the perculiar Circumstances Attending the protested £200—as well the Accomodation1 of the £234. remitted, in lieu thereof—with the £300—Remitted from New York—and be Assured, I feel my self, perfectly gratified—in having the Means whereby to Apply—so sovereign a Remedy—in so Critical a Case—
I also inclose you, the Genl private letter to you of date 16 April—
RC (ViU: TJP-ER); at foot of text: “Thomas Jefferson Esqr Monticello”; endorsed by TJ as received 12 Jan. 1817 and so recorded in SJL. Enclosure: Tadeusz Kosciuszko to TJ, Apr. 1816. Other enclosure printed below.
ee.: “errors excepted.”
1. Manuscript: “Accomdation.”
- Barnes, John; account with T. Kosciuszko search
- Barnes, John; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Barnes, John; letters from search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; account with J. Barnes search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; and investment in U.S. government loan search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; remittances to search