From John Barnes
George Town 13th Jany 1817.
Notwithstandg what has been said, & done, Respecting your several powers—they have [not]1 had an Accomodating effect with the Comptroller—for Answer—He knows2 of None—but the Law—and cannot therefore be Admitted:—still in Order to save you the trouble—a Ride of many Miles to the Majestrate—Mr Randolph3—your Witness—his Attest to it before me—will be Accepted Of4—
My first Attempt on the Cashr of Bank of Columa—the same objection was made—at which I expressed my surprize—and begd a Reference to the Board of Directors—whose decision the Next day—was—in your favr—of course5 I made a 2d Attempt on the Comptroller—but without the desired Effect.
I therefore inclose you the two powers—to be Attested to—by the Witnesses and when Compleatly—transferred: transmit you the proper Certificates of both The Bank Stock & 6 Cts of their being—in the Name of Thads Kosciusko—with the greatest Respect,
RC (ViU: TJP-ER); at foot of text: “Thos Jefferson Esqr Monticello”; endorsed by TJ as received 19 Jan. 1817 and so recorded in SJL. Enclosures: enclosure to TJ to Barnes, 31 Dec. 1816, and possibly also first enclosure to TJ to Barnes, 15 Dec. 1816.
Joseph Anderson was comptroller of the United States Treasury, 1815–36 (JEP description begins Journal of the Executive Proceedings of the Senate of the United States description ends , 2:622, 625, 4:560 [27, 28 Feb. 1815, 15 June 1836]).
1. Omitted word editorially supplied.
2. Manuscript: “knowns.”
3. Manuscript: “Randolp.”
4. Manuscript: “Off.”
5. Manuscript: “couse.”
- Anderson, Joseph; comptroller of the Treasury search
- Bank of Columbia search
- banks; in Georgetown, D.C. search
- banks; stock issued by search
- Barnes, John; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Barnes, John; letters from search
- Barnes, John; TJ’s power of attorney to search
- Georgetown, D.C.; banks in search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Writings; Power of Attorney to John Barnes search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; and investment in U.S. government loan search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; Bank of Columbia stock of search
- Randolph, Thomas Mann (1768–1828) (TJ’s son-in-law; Martha Jefferson Randolph’s husband); witnesses document search
- Treasury Department, U.S.; and government stock search
- United States; and government stock search