To William Sampson
Monticello Dec. 30. 16.
Your favor of Nov. 30. came to hand some time ago, and I delayed answering that I might acknolege at the same time the receipt of mr Ensors volumes which you had been so kind as to forward. that on National government with your letter of Nov. 26. were forwarded by mr Lovett by Doctr Stuart and delivered me a few days ago. he informed me that that on the defects of the English law, had been forgotten somewhere, I believe at1 lodgings in Washington. it will come probably by some other occasion. I have barely had time to run my eye over the volume on National government; yet I see in it proofs that the author is the scholar you represent him. it presents learned research thro’ the whole, & is well calculated for Europe where the appeal to great opinions constitutes authority. here, you know, we shorten the process by appealing to our own opinions. be so good as to make my acknolegements to your friend the author for this mark of his attention, and to recieve my thanks for the trouble you have had with the assurance of my great esteem and respect.
RC (Mrs. Livingston T. Dickason, Short Hills, N.J., 1944); addressed: “William Sampson esquire New York”; franked; postmarked Charlottesville, 3 Jan.; endorsed by Sampson. PoC (MHi); on verso of reused address cover of Robert Turner to TJ, 29 Nov. 1816; endorsed by TJ.
1. TJ here canceled “his.”
- books; on government search
- Defects of the English Laws and Tribunals (G. Ensor) search
- Ensor, George; Defects of the English Laws and Tribunals search
- Ensor, George; On National Government search
- Europe; scholarship respected in search
- Great Britain; laws of search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; receives works search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; works sent to search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Opinions on; scholarship versus popular opinion search
- law; books on search
- law; British search
- Lovett, John; and books for TJ search
- On National Government (G. Ensor) search
- politics; books on government search
- Sampson, William; and books for TJ search
- Sampson, William; letters to search
- Stuart, Josephus Bradner; delivers letters search
- United States; and popular opinion search