From David Gelston
New York August 23d 1816.
I have this day shipped by the Sloop Alpha, Coffin, Master to Messrs Gibson & Jefferson the five cases wine & basket of Macaroni— not yet being able to collect all the expenses, I have not drawn on them only for freight from this to Richmond—when the amount of charges is received it Shall be forwarded to you—
RC (MHi); endorsed by TJ as received 29 Aug. 1816 and so recorded in SJL, which has the additional notation: “has forwardd the 5. cases wine & 1. of Maccaroni.” RC (DLC); address cover only; with PoC of TJ to Joseph Delaplaine, 11 Nov. 1816, on verso; addressed: “Thomas Jefferson Esquire Monticello”; franked; postmarked New York, 23 Aug.
- Alpha (sloop) search
- Coffin, Mr. (ship captain) search
- food; macaroni search
- Gelston, David; and wine for TJ search
- Gelston, David; letters from search
- Gelston, David; sends macaroni to TJ search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and food acquired by TJ search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and wine acquired by TJ search
- macaroni; sent to TJ search
- wine; sent to TJ search