To George Watterston
Monticello June 20. 16.
I have formerly mentioned, either in some letter written to you, or in a note in the MS. catalogue, that I had cut the print of Americus Vespucius out of the book containing his life, & lent it to mr Delaplane to be copied. it is just now returned to me, very much sullied: but as it is the original, it should be pasted again into the work, for which purpose I now inclose it. you will readily find at the beginning of the book the remains of the leaf from which it was cut. Accept the assurance of my esteem & respect
PoC (DLC); on verso of portion of reused address cover of James Monroe to TJ, 28 Apr. 1816; at foot of text: “Mr Watterston”; endorsed by TJ. Enclosure: frontispiece to Stanislao Canovai, Elogio d’Amerigo Vespucci (Florence, 1788; Sowerby, description begins E. Millicent Sowerby, comp., Catalogue of the Library of Thomas Jefferson, 1952–59, 5 vols. description ends no. 4163).
- Canovai, Stanislao; Elogio d’Amerigo Vespucci search
- Delaplaine, Joseph; Delaplaine’s Repository search
- Elogio d’Amerigo Vespucci (S. Canovai) search
- Library of Congress; TJ’s catalogue of books sold to search
- Repository of the Lives and Portraits of Distinguished Americans (J. Delaplaine) search
- Vespucci, Amerigo (Americus Vespucius); Elogio d’Amerigo Vespucci (S. Canovai) search
- Vespucci, Amerigo (Americus Vespucius); portrait of search
- Watterston, George; and catalogue of TJ’s library search
- Watterston, George; letters to search