To Joseph Milligan
Monticell[o] May 18. 16.
On the 7th Ult. I wrote to you and forwarded at the same time the corrected translation of mr Tracy’s book, with a request that you would forward to me for correction the proof sheets as they are struck off, and as we have three mails a week now from Washington, you will always recieve the sheet on the 5th day after it comes from your hands, perhaps sometimes on the 7th. having as yet recieved none I begin to be uneasy, and the more so on account of the great delay which that work has already so unfortunately experienced. will you drop me a line of information to relieve my anxiety1
In some part of the MS. I inserted a Note beginning with the words ‘our author’s classification’2 Etc and ending ‘weighty observations of our author.’ will you add at the end of it what is on the inclosed paper? accept my best wishes and respects.
PoC (DLC); on verso of portion of reused address cover to TJ; dateline faint; at foot of text: “Mr Millegan”; endorsed by TJ. Enclosure: TJ’s Addition to Note for Destutt de Tracy’s Treatise on Political Economy, [ca. 18 May 1816].
1. Edge may be trimmed here, with possible loss of a question mark.
2. Omitted closing quotation mark editorially supplied.
- A Treatise on Political Economy (Destutt de Tracy) search
- Destutt de Tracy, Antoine Louis Claude; A Treatise on Political Economy search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Writings; Note for Destutt de Tracy’sTreatise on Political Economy search
- Milligan, Joseph; and Destutt de Tracy’sTreatise on Political Economy search
- Milligan, Joseph; letters to search
- political economy; TJ’s note for Destutt de Tracy’sTreatise on Political Economy search
- political economy; works on search