To Samuel Pleasants
Monticello Nov. 7. 12.
I see advertised in your paper of the 7th Hutton’s Mathematics 2. v. 8vo 8. Dol. which I will pray you to send me, adding thereto a copy of Mason’s book on the Horse, advertised in the same paper. mr Gibson will be so kind as to pay for them on shewing him this letter. the books to be securely wrapped in paper, addressed to me to the care of David Higgenbotham in Milton, & forwarded by the Milton stage. indeed mr Higgenbotham is now in Richmond & will take charge of them himself if delivered to him, & he should be returning in the stage.
PoC (MHi); at foot of text: “Mr Samuel Pleasants”; endorsed by TJ.
Beginning on 2 Nov. 1812, the Richmond Virginia Argus advertised both Charles hutton’s work entitled A Course of Mathematics … for the Use of Academies, as well as Private Tuition, revised and corrected by Robert Adrain, 2 vols. (New York, 1812; Sowerby, description begins E. Millicent Sowerby, comp., Catalogue of the Library of Thomas Jefferson, 1952–59, 5 vols. description ends no. 3683), and Richard mason’s book, The Gentleman’s New Pocket Companion, comprising a General Description of the Noble and Useful Animal the Horse; together with the Quickest and Simplest Mode of Fattening; necessary treatment while undergoing excessive fatigue, or on a journey; the Construction and Management of Stables; different marks for Ascertaining the Age of a Horse, from three to nine years old. With a concise account of the Diseases, to which the Horse is most subject; with such remedies as long experience has proven to be effectual (Petersburg, 1811; Sowerby, description begins E. Millicent Sowerby, comp., Catalogue of the Library of Thomas Jefferson, 1952–59, 5 vols. description ends no. 987).
SJL records a letter of 7 Nov. 1812 from TJ to david higgenbotham and Higginbotham’s 10 Nov. reply, received from Richmond on 17 Dec. 1812, but neither has been found.
- A Course of Mathematics (C. Hutton) search
- Adrain, Robert search
- books; on horses search
- books; on mathematics search
- Gibson, Patrick; payments made for TJ search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and books acquired by TJ search
- Higginbotham, David; forwards books to TJ search
- Higginbotham, David; letters from accounted for search
- Higginbotham, David; letters to accounted for search
- horses; books on search
- Hutton, Charles; A Course of Mathematics search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; orders books search
- Mason, Richard; The Gentleman’s New Pocket Companion search
- mathematics; books on search
- Pleasants, Samuel; and books for TJ search
- Pleasants, Samuel; letters to search
- The Gentleman’s New Pocket Companion (Mason) search