To Randolph Jefferson
Monticello Jan. 14. 12.
When I saw you last I mentioned to you that among a stock of family medecines & conveniences which I laid in by the advice of Dr Wistar when I left Philadelphia1 he had put up, I thought, some bougies of better form than common. on searching I have found one of them, which I now send you. Doctr Walker will be the best judge of it’s merit. should you have a return of your complaint I hope you will by all means follow his judicious advice of using the lunar caustic, as the only means of giving permanent relief, and of ensuring a continuance of life. in his hands the operation will be safe, & altho’ the pain will be great, yet we should make up our minds to the sufferings we are doomed to meet, and meet them with firmness and patience.
On my arrival here I found a letter announcing the death of mr Marks. I sent for our sister as soon as she could leave that neighborhood, & she is now here; but in very low health indeed, & scarcely able to walk about the house.
I had an opportunity yesterday of sending your watch to Richmond. present my respects to my sister
PoC (ViU: TJP-CC); at foot of text: “R. Jefferson”; endorsed by TJ.
The letter announcing the death of TJ’s brother-in-law Hastings Marks was probably Lancelot Minor to TJ, 18 Dec. 1811, not found but recorded in SJL as received from Louisa on 22 Dec. 1811. SJL also records TJ’s missing letter of 28 Dec. 1811 to his widowed sister Anne Scott Marks. On that same day he sent his slave Wormley Hughes to bring her to Monticello, where she resided for the remainder of her life (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1272).
1. Preceding four words interlined.
- bougies search
- clocks; R. Jefferson’s watch search
- health; of R. Jefferson search
- Hughes, Wormley (TJ’s slave; b.1781); brings A. Marks to Monticello search
- Jefferson, Randolph (TJ’s brother); and death of H. Marks search
- Jefferson, Randolph (TJ’s brother); health of search
- Jefferson, Randolph (TJ’s brother); letters to search
- Jefferson, Randolph (TJ’s brother); watch of search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Family & Friends; relations with R. Jefferson search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Opinions on; endurance of pain search
- lunar caustic (silver nitrate); as medicine search
- Marks, Anne Scott Jefferson (TJ’s sister; Hastings Marks’s wife); health of search
- Marks, Anne Scott Jefferson (TJ’s sister; Hastings Marks’s wife); letters to accounted for search
- Marks, Anne Scott Jefferson (TJ’s sister; Hastings Marks’s wife); moves to Monticello search
- Marks, Hastings (TJ’s brother-in-law; Anne Scott Jefferson Marks’s husband); death of search
- medicine; bougies search
- medicine; lunar caustic (silver nitrate) search
- Minor, Lancelot; letters from accounted for search
- Walker, Dr.; R. Jefferson’s physician search
- watches; R. Jefferson’s search
- Wistar, Caspar; medical advice of search