From George Jefferson
Richmond 4th July 1811
I only yesterday received your favor of the 24th ultimo.—the note however was in time, but had one hour only to spare.—I suppose that your letters must have been too late for the mail, for the dft to Mr Lyle has not yet appeared.— the one to Mr Higginbotham did, in due time. I will tomorrow forward the 500.$ to Jones & Howell.—to day the bank does no business. I wrote you a few lines by last mail to Poplar Forest, a copy of which I subjoin.
The last Hhd of Tobacco is greatly superior in quality to the average of the other six, being indeed a very good one.—There was one of the others however as good as this.
Tobacco of an inferior quality is if possible becoming more & more unsaleable.—I really should not be at all surprised at its selling shortly at 2$.
If Mr Higginbotham will take yours, I think you had better let him have it almost at any price.
I would not willingly sell it if you would give me the whole proceeds.—I inclose you 150$ & am
RC (MHi); at foot of text: “Thomas Jefferson esqr”; with Dupl of Jefferson to TJ, 27 June 1811, on verso; endorsed by TJ as received 7 July 1811 and so recorded in SJL.
A missing letter of 6 July 1811 to TJ from Benjamin Jones of the firm of jones & howell is recorded in SJL as received from Philadelphia on 17 July 1811. SJL also records a letter from TJ to David higginbotham of 9 July 1811, not found, in which TJ forwarded “an order on Gibson & Jefferson for 124.29 of which 96.29 are on the order of Wm. Johnson for flour & tobo. carried to Richmond and 28.D. for Dabney Minor” (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1267).
- flour; transported to Richmond search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); flour sold for TJ search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); tobacco sold for TJ search
- Higginbotham, David; letters to accounted for search
- Higginbotham, David; TJ pays search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); letters from search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); sells TJ’s tobacco search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; sells tobacco search
- Johnson, William (waterman); carries flour to Richmond search
- Johnson, William (waterman); carries tobacco to Richmond search
- Jones, Benjamin; letters from accounted for search
- Jones & Howell (Philadelphia firm); TJ pays search
- Lyle, James; TJ pays search
- Minor, Dabney; TJ pays search
- Richmond, Va.; flour shipped to search