To Samuel J. Harrison
Poplar Forest Apr. 9. 10.
Th: Jefferson presents his compliments to mr Harrison and incloses him two bonds for the 2d & 3d paiments for the lands, filled up with the name of the security he proposed to him. he has prepared & executed a deed, which yet however wants more witnesses. this he will leave with mr Griffin with the patents & surveys to be exchanged for the bonds.
SC (MHi); dateline at foot of text; endorsed by TJ. Enclosures not found.
On 7 Apr. 1810 TJ received £100 cash and an order on Gibson & Jefferson for £300 from Harrison, the first of three payments for his Ivy Creek lands (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1254).
- Campbell County, Va.; TJ sells Ivy Creek tract in search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and TJ’s real estate search
- Griffin, Burgess; and sale of Ivy Creek lands search
- Harrison, Samuel Jordan; buys land from TJ search
- Harrison, Samuel Jordan; letters to search
- Ivy Creek (Campbell Co.); TJ sells lands on search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; sells land on Ivy Creek search
- overseers; TJ entrusts documents to search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); Overseers at; TJ entrusts documents to search