To Jeremiah A. Goodman
Monticello July 20. 17.
with respect to the girl Sally, the fair thing is to consider the bargain as annulled, and for me to repay you the sum allowed for her, 150.D. with interest till repaid: but I cannot undertake the repayment but in all May 1819. I had as live pay in May 18. as in Aug. 18. but I could not do this conveniently, this with the repayment of her clothing comes to something more than you propose. I tender you my best wishes
RC (DLC); postscript added separately to RC and PoC; addressed: “Mr Jeremiah A. Goodman Albemarle”; endorsed by TJ. PoC (DLC); on verso of reused address cover of Joseph Gales (1761–1841) to TJ, 26 June 1817; endorsed by TJ.
1. Preceding two words interlined in RC and incorporated cleanly in PoC.
- corn; for slaves search
- Goodman, Jeremiah Augustus; letters to search
- Goodman, Jeremiah Augustus; purchases slave from TJ search
- Goodman, Sally (TJ’s slave; b.1812); sold by TJ search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; buys and sells slaves search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); slaves at search
- slaves; corn for search
- slaves; TJ sells search