From Joseph Gales (1761–1841)
Raleigh, June 26, 1817.
Your favor of the 19th inst. inclosing to me $24 for the Register during the last eight years, came duly to hand, and is thankfully acknowledged.
Your Apology for suffering the Acct to run so long is very satisfactory. No order having been recd to discontinue the Paper, it was of course sent on; tho’ whenever I have thought on the subject, I thought it probable you might wish to discontinue it, and at length determined to ascertain the fact by forwarding you the Acct
When the Register contains any thing which I think will be interesting to you (which, of course, can seldom happen) a copy shall be forwarded.
RC (MHi); dateline at foot of text; endorsed by TJ as received 15 July 1817 and so recorded in SJL. RC (DLC); address cover only; with PoC of TJ to Jeremiah A. Goodman, 20 July 1817, on verso; addressed: “Hon Thos Jefferson Monticello, Virga”; franked; postmarked Raleigh, 26 June.
- Gales, Joseph (1761–1841); andRaleigh Register search
- Gales, Joseph (1761–1841); letter from search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; and newspaper subscriptions search
- newspapers; Raleigh Register search
- newspapers; subscriptions to, by TJ search
- North Carolina; newspapers in search
- Raleigh Register (newspaper) search
- subscriptions, for publications; newspapers search