George Washington Papers

To George Washington from Lund Washington, 15 May 1782

Mount Vernon May 15th 1782

Dr Sir

In my Last weeks Letter I omitid a pretty considerable charge Agust Mr Custis Decsd.—it is as follows

1775 Febry 2. To makg a suit of
Pompadore Cloaths £ 1. 2. 6
May 18 To makeg a Coat 10.
June 17 To makeg a Waistcoat & 10.
pr of Breeches
Altering a coat 2. 6
Augt 17 makeg 2 pr of Breeches for
you 8.
Makeg a Suit for self 1
Makeg 2 waistcoats & pr of
Breeches 15.
4. 8.
To 3 Hds of Jamaica Rum imported
in the Brig: Farmer Captn Curtis
in 1774—containg 120, 118, and 117 1/2
Gallons—355 1/2 @ 4s. 71. 12.

he also had a Case of Claret from here, which was to be repaid. one of those Sent you by Frazier from France.—I fear the Bay Horse you left here (the one sent by Posey) will never get over a Complaint he labours under—It is a swelling of the Bones in his head nothing that I can do appears to be of any advantage to him, two Horses have Died here with the same Complaint within six months, the first was a horse of my own—the other was a young Horse of the Dewy Breed belonging to you which we workd in the waggon, they are first taken with what we suppose the distemper common of late years to Horses, but nothing ever Runs from their heads, the Bones below the Eyes swells and continues to do it for two Months or more before the Horse Dies, dureing which time he never loses his Appetite but constantly eats as much as if nothing was the matter with him—he certainly suffers much pain he walks about with much caution and seldom steps over any thing a foot from the ground—he loses flesh gradually until he Dies your Horse does not grow better therefore I fear he will grow worse. nothing yet fixd between Dulany and me respectg the Land, I believe the sure way is to purchase Dows for I believe it is the women that keeps Dulany from setling the exchange—I suppose Mrs French and her friends want too many Acres in exchange for their Land as they hold—I expect Dulany will determine before next whether they will take Dows Land or not—I wrote yesterday to Dulany to say whether he woud or not if not I hoped he woud comply with his promise to you and abide by the Value that shoud be fixd by Little & Triplett, for I had not a doubt that but Dows Land would be abjuged to be worth much more than his—and that it woud be to your Interest to stand to their determination in preference to giving Dows for his. If the Reports now among us be true, I hope peace is not far distant. God grant us peace on good terms—Betsy joins me in every good wish for Mrs Washington & yourself—Am Dr Sir Your affectionate Hbl: Servt

Lund Washington

Printed Source--The Historical Magazine, and Notes and Queries Concerning the Antiquities, History, and Biography of America (New York: 1857-1875)..

Index Entries