George Washington Papers

From George Washington to Brigadier General Anthony Wayne, 14 July 1779

To Brigadier General Anthony Wayne

Head Quarters New Windsor July 14th 1779

Dr Sir,

I have reflected on the advantages and disadvantages of delaying the proposed attempt, and I do not know but the latter preponderate. You will1 therefore carry it into execution tomorrow night as you desire, unless some new motive or better information should induce you to think it best to defer it. You are at liberty to choose between the different plans on which we have conversed.2 But as it is important to have every information we can procure, if you could manage, in the mean time to see Major Lee, it might be useful. He has been so long near the spot and has taken so much pains to inform himself critically concerning the post, that I imagine he may be able to make you acquainted with some further details. Your interview must be managed with caution or it may possibly raise suspicion.3 I am Dr Sir Your most Obedt servt

Go: Washington

LS, in Alexander Hamilton’s writing, PHi: Wayne Papers, Df, DLC:GW; Varick transcript, DLC:GW.

1At this place on the draft manuscript, also in Hamilton’s writing, the word “will” is struck out and “may” is written above the line.

2For GW’s detailed thoughts on the best manner to attack the British position at Stony Point, N.Y., see his letter to Wayne, 10 July. Wayne’s light infantry successfully attacked Stony Point, N.Y., on the night of 15-16 July. For an overview of preparations, and the attack’s aftermath, see GW to Wayne, 1 July, n.2; see also Wayne to GW, 17 July, and GW to John Jay, 21 July.

3For the efforts of Maj. Henry Lee, Jr., and his command to obtain intelligence related to Stony Point, see Lee to GW, 21 June, and n.5 to that document; and GW to Lee, 28 June, and 5 and 9 July.

Index Entries