George Washington Papers

General Orders, 19 October 1778

General Orders

Head-Quarters Frederick’sburgh Monday Octr 19th 78.

Parole Copenhagen—C. Signs Chatham. Cape-Ann.

As Coll Greaton is unable to attend the Court Martial whereof he was yesterday appointed President, Lieutt Coll Smith will preside in his room.

Major Murphy is appointed an Additional Member of the Court which will sit tomorrow morning nine ôClock at the usual Place.1

A General Court Martial of the Line whereof Coll Bradley is appointed President will assemble at the President’s Marqui next friday morning ten ôClock and sit at such place as shall be provided by the Quarter Master General for the trial of Coll Price and such others as shall come before them—Lieutt Colls Hay, Russell & Harney Majors Nichols, Thompson and Holdridge and a Captain from each of the Brigades on the Ground will constitute the Court—All Evidences and Persons concerned to attend.2

Nixon’s, Parsons’s, and Huntington’s Brigades to hold themselves in readiness to march at a moment’s Warning.3

Ensign Richard Fullerton of the 3rd Pennsylvania Regiment is appointed Adjutant to the same from the 1st of July last.4

Varick transcript, DLC:GW.

1Hardy Murfree (1752–1809) of Murfree’s Landing (later Murfreesboro), N.C., had been commissioned a captain in the 2d North Carolina Regiment in September 1775 and had been promoted to major in February 1777. From July to Oc tober 1779 Murfree commanded a North Carolina light infantry detachment in Brig. Gen. Anthony Wayne’s light infantry brigade, and he participated in Wayne’s attack on Stony Point, N.Y., on 16 July 1779 (see General Orders, 13, 23 July 1779, and Anthony Wayne to GW, 17 July 1779, DLC:GW). Murfree subsequently served with the North Carolina line in the southern campaigns of 1780–82, and in April 1782 he received a commission as lieutenant colonel of the 1st North Carolina Regiment that was backdated to April 1778. He retired from the army in January 1783. Murfree was a Federalist member of the North Carolina convention that ratified the Constitution in 1789. In 1807 he moved to Tennessee.

2The following Friday was 23 October. Col. Thomas Price of the 2d Maryland Regiment was tried on several charges of cowardice at Fishkill on 9 Nov. by a court-martial, of which Col. John Neville was president, and he was acquitted on all charges (see General Orders, 8 Jan. 1779). Selby Harney (c.1749–1799), who in January 1773 had been captain of the ship Willing Maid, which had carried some of GW’s flour from Mount Vernon to Norfolk, was appointed captain of an independent North Carolina coastal defense company in April 1776, major of the 8th North Carolina Regiment in November 1776, and lieutenant colonel of the 2d North Carolina Regiment in November 1777 (see Papers, Colonial Series description begins W. W. Abbot et al., eds. The Papers of George Washington, Colonial Series. 10 vols. Charlottesville, Va., 1983–95. description ends , 9:152, 166). He transferred to the 3d North Carolina Regiment in November 1779. Wounded and captured at the siege of Charleston, S.C., in the spring of 1780, Harney was not exchanged until the fall of 1782. He apparently was promoted to colonel in 1783, and in 1785 he represented Camden County in the North Carolina general assembly. Hezekiah Holdridge, who had been appointed major of the 2d Connecticut Regiment in March 1777, was promoted to lieutenant colonel of the 7th Connecticut Regiment sometime during the next few months with a commission that apparently was backdated to May 1778.

3These brigades began marching from Fredericksburg toward Hartford under the command of Maj. Gen. Alexander McDougall on 23 Oct. to augment the three brigades in Maj. Gen. Horatio Gates’s division, which had begun marching to Hartford from Danbury between 18 and 21 Oct. (see General Orders, 22 Oct.; GW to Henry Laurens, 22–23 Oct.; GW to McDougall, 23 Oct.; and GW to Gates, 24 Oct.). The purpose of these movements was to have troops in better positions to go to the aid of the French fleet at Boston in the event of a British attack on it. Gates’s division arrived at Hartford between 24 and 26 Oct. (see Gates to GW, 25 Oct.), but McDougall’s division suspended its march at New Milford, Conn., between 25 and 28 Oct. on GW’s orders after new intelligence indicated that there was little impending threat to the French fleet (see GW to McDougall, 25 Oct., and McDougall to GW, 28 Oct.). In November McDougall’s division was ordered first to Danbury and then to winter quarters at West Point (see GW letters to McDougall of 17, 19, and 20 Nov. in DLC:GW, and of 24 Nov. in NHi: McDougall Papers).

4Richard Fullerton (1757–1792) of Philadelphia, who had acted as a volunteer in the battles of Long Island, Trenton, and Princeton during 1776 and 1777, had joined the 3d Pennsylvania Regiment in February 1778 and had been commissioned an ensign the following June. Promoted to lieutenant in May 1779, Fullerton served as regimental paymaster until August 1780 or later. During the Virginia campaign of 1781, he was brigade major of the Pennsylvania line under Brig. Gen. Anthony Wayne, and during the campaign of 1782 in South Carolina, he was assistant adjutant general of Maj. Gen. Nathanael Greene’s army (see Greene to Fullerton, 19 May 1783, in Greene Papers description begins Richard K. Showman et al., eds. The Papers of General Nathanael Greene. 13 vols. Chapel Hill, N.C., 1976–2005. description ends , 12:669; and Fullerton to Elias Boudinot, 1783, and Wayne’s deposition, 28 Oct. 1783, both in DNA:PCC, item 42). In January 1783 Fullerton was appointed adjutant of the 1st Pennsylvania Regiment, and on 1 Nov. 1783 Congress gave him a brevet commission of captain in recognition of his services (JCC description begins Worthington Chauncey Ford et al., eds. Journals of the Continental Congress, 1774-1789. 34 vols. Washington, D.C., 1904–37. description ends , 25:789–90). After the war, Fullerton became a merchant in Philadelphia and a major in the city militia. As first assistant secretary of the Pennsylvania Society of the Cincinnati from 1784 to 1787, Fullerton visited Mount Vernon on 31 Oct. 1785 to obtain GW’s signature on 250 society diplomas (see Diaries description begins Donald Jackson and Dorothy Twohig, eds. The Diaries of George Washington. 6 vols. Charlottesville, Va., 1976–79. description ends , 4:216). He served as secretary of the Pennsylvania society from 1787 to 1791.

Index Entries