George Washington Papers

To George Washington from Major General Philip Schuyler, 16 September 1776

From Major General Philip Schuyler

Albany Septr 16. 1776.

Dear Sir

I do myself the Honor to inclose You Copies of General Arnolds & Colo: Dayton’s Letters, In Consequence of the Intelligence they contain, I have dismissed the Militia.1

Yesterday I transmitted to Congress, Copies of the Papers here mentioned, together with my Resignation, and have advised them that I shall continue to act as usual, until such a Time is Elapsed, In Which a General Officer can be sent here, If they think It necessary that one should reside here, Which I supposed could not exceed a Fortnight, Immediately after Which I propose Attending my Duty in Congress.2

As there is not sufficient Water at this Season to raft Boards to this Place from the Mills, Which border on Hudsons River above this, they must be brought Part of the Way by Land, which will Considerably enhance the price, & Of which I have adviced the Quarter Master General.

I am informed that the Term for which De Haas’s Maxwells & Winds Regiments were engaged, expires the Beginning of October & I fear the soldiers will not remain in the Service after that; If they leave Tyonderoga, It will not only weaken but greatly dispirit our Troops. I sincerely wish Congress would take some Measures, If possible to detain these people, untill the Season shall be so far advanced, as that there will be no Prospect of the Enemy attempting any Thing in this Quarter until Another Year.

Your Excellency’s Favor of the 12th instant Mr Allen delivered Me Yesterday. I am Dr Sir Most respectfully & sincerely Your Obedient Humble servt

Ph: Schuyler

LS, DLC:GW; LB, NN: Schuyler Papers.

1The enclosed copies of Arnold’s letters to Gates of 7 and 8 Sept. and Col. Elias Dayton’s letter to Schuyler of 11 Sept. are in DLC:GW. Arnold reports that on 3 Sept. he arrived with his fleet at Windmill Point near the northern end of Lake Champlain, but anticipating a British attack, he withdrew on the morning of 8 Sept., to Isle La Motte, about seven miles to the south, where he believed “the best Stand” could be made. Dayton writes from Fort Schuyler that he has been unable to confirm the recent rumors of an impending Indian raid on the Mohawk Valley and concludes that no enemy force is “on their way” from Oswego (see Schuyler to GW, 8 Sept., and note 3).

2Schuyler’s letter to Hancock of 14 Sept. is in DNA:PCC, item 153. On 2 Oct. Congress resolved that Schuyler be requested to “continue the command which he now holds” and assured “that the aspertions, which his enemies have thrown out against his character, have had no influence upon the minds of the members of this house . . . and that, in order effectually to put calumny to silence, they will, at an early day, appoint a committee of their body, to enquire fully into his conduct, which, they trust, will establish his reputation in the opinion of all good men” (JCC description begins Worthington Chauncey Ford et al., eds. Journals of the Continental Congress, 1774-1789. 34 vols. Washington, D.C., 1904–37. description ends , 5:841).

Index Entries