George Washington Papers

To George Washington from Beverley Robinson, 8 August 1757

From Beverley Robinson

New York 8th Augt 1757

Dr Sir

The inclosed Lettrs came to my hands Yesterday by a Vassill from Halifax, they will I suppose give you all the News from that Quarter. Except the Arriva⟨l of⟩ the Highlanders wh. has been since they were wrote, all well and in good Order Lord Loudoun had not Left Halifax a fortnight ago.

we are now under the greatest apprehensions for fort Wm Henry having Certain Accots that it is Besieged by a Large Body of French & Indians & Mr Mont Calm himself at the head of them. a fryday Last the Express came away from fort Edward & they were then Very hotly Engaged—our Liut. Governer went up Last week to forward the Militia. Genl Johnson was gone up with two thousand Militia & 100 Indians, and the Militia was going up from the adjacent Counties. Col. Young Command at Wm Henry he had Just got into that place with a Reinforcement of 1000 men.1 we hope the Best. I am Dr Sir Yr Humble Sert

Bev: Robinson


1The marquis de Montcalm arrived at Fort Ticonderoga at the head of Lake George on 18 July, and before the end of the month the number of soldiers at the fort had grown to 8,000. On 29 July the French forces began their move down the lake toward Fort William Henry at its southern extremity. On the same day Brig. Gen. Daniel Webb (c.1700–1773), who commanded the British forces during Loudoun’s absence in Nova Scotia, sent Lt. Col. John Young of the Royal Americans with reinforcements to increase the garrison at Fort William Henry to 2,000, and he put out a call for militia from New England and New York. By 5 Aug. Montcalm had surrounded Fort William Henry with about 5,000 troops and 2,000 Indians. The fort’s garrison surrendered on 9 August. Montcalm razed the fort and instead of attacking Webb’s large force at Fort Edward to the south on the Hudson River, he led the French forces back up to Fort Ticonderoga, Crown Point, and finally to Montreal. Sir William Johnson responded on 1 Aug. from Fort Johnson to Webb’s orders of 30 July regarding his regiment of militia, and on 12 Aug. he indicated that of the 4,239 militia encamped at Fort Edward 1,676 were under his command.

James De Lancey (1703–1760), lieutenant governor of New York 1753 to 1760 and acting governor 1753–55, 1757–60, went up to Albany.

Index Entries