Sunday 4th. Went to St. Pauls Chappel in the forenoon. Spent the remainder of the day in writing private letters for tomorrows Post.
St. Paul’s Chapel, opened in 1766, was one of two Protestant Episcopal chapels which had been established when Trinity Church needed additional parish facilities (SMITH  description begins Thomas E. V. Smith. The City of New York in the Year of Washington’s Inauguration, 1789. 1889. Reprint. Riverside, Conn., 1972. description ends , 136). GW attended St. Paul’s regularly in 1789 and early 1790, probably because the rebuilding of Trinity, which had been destroyed by fire in 1776, was not yet completed. When the new building, erected on its original site at Broadway and Wall Street, was consecrated in Mar. 1790, it contained a pew for the president, and GW frequently attended Trinity for the remainder of his stay in New York.