George Washington Papers

[Diary entry: 30 June 1787]

Saturday 30th. Attended Convention. Dined with a Club at Springsbury—consisting of several associated families of the City—the Gentlemen of which meet every Saturday accompanied by the females of the families every other Saturday. This was the ladies day.

In his original Philadelphia journal GW refers to the club at Springettsbury as the Cold Spring Club. springsbury: One of the original manors set aside by William Penn for his family was named Springettsbury, taking its name from the family name of Penn’s first wife, Gulielma Maria Springett. Much of the original manor, encompassing thousands of acres just north of the original city, was gradually sold off, but a portion retaining the manor name was kept in the family and developed in the mid-eighteenth century by William Penn’s son Thomas Penn (1702–1775). The manor house, within an easy walk from Bush Hill, was the temporary country home of Robert Morris in 1779 and 1780. In the 1780s its overgrown gardens, random springs, and abandoned buildings offered a gothic setting for pastoral outings (see SNYDER description begins Martin P. Snyder. City of Independence: Views of Philadelphia before 1800. New York, 1975. description ends , 200; BAKER [2] description begins William Spohn Baker. Washington after the Revolution: MDCCLXXXIV - MDCCXCIX. Philadelphia, 1898. description ends , 81n).

Index Entries