To Archibald Robertson
Poplar [Fore]st Aug. 11.  17.
I have been longer than I expected in getting the produce of the year to market which has occasioned the delay of sending you the inclosed order on messrs Gibson & Jefferson for 800. Dollars. I wish it were more, but the late calamitous season and this not much better, put it out of my power. I shall be glad to recieve by the bearer the articles underwritten.
I set out for the Natural bridge with two of my grandaughters the day after tomorrow, and shall be absent 4. or 5. days. should your business after that draw you into this quarter I shall always be happy to see you. Accept the assurance of my great esteem and respect.
2. ℔ tea
10. ℔ of rice.
10. ℔ brown sugar
2. loaves white sugar
10 ℔ coffee. with respect to coffee I will observe generally that the Bourbon is best, next the Java, or E. India, then the ripe dry W. India, but never the green.
a box of candles.
PoC (MHi); on verso of reused address cover of Patrick Gibson to TJ, 26 June 1817; misdated; place of composition faint; at foot of text: “Mr Robertson”; endorsed by TJ as a letter of 11 Aug. 1817 but corrected to 12 Aug. in SJL. Enclosure not found.
The two grandaughters who accompanied TJ to Natural Bridge were Ellen W. Randolph (Coolidge) and Cornelia J. Randolph.
- candles search
- coffee; TJ purchases search
- Coolidge, Ellen Wayles Randolph (TJ’s granddaughter); visits Natural Bridge search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); payments made for TJ search
- groceries; purchased by TJ search
- household articles; candles search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Travels; to Natural Bridge search
- Natural Bridge, Va.; TJ visits search
- Natural Bridge, Va.; TJ’s grandchildren visit search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); groceries for search
- Randolph, Cornelia Jefferson (TJ’s granddaughter); visits Natural Bridge search
- rice; TJ orders search
- Robertson, Archibald; letters to search
- Robertson, Archibald; TJ orders groceries from search
- Robertson, Archibald; TJ pays search
- slaves; errands by search
- sugar; TJ orders search
- tea; for Poplar Forest search