From John Barnes
George Town Coa 17th July 1817—
I now inclose you agreable to my letter of the 11th (for the Use of Mr Louis Leschut—Charlotteville)1 Richard Smith Cashr of the Office of Dist and Deposit at Washington his Order on ditto at Bank N York for $306. and by me endorsed—and Numbered 861.
with renewed Respects &c—
|PS.||Mr Milligan has this day forwarded your Box of Books Via Steam Boat to Mr Gray Frederickbg|
RC (ViU: TJP-ER); at foot of text: “Thomas Jefferson Esqr Monticello”; endorsed by TJ as received 22 July 1817 and so recorded in SJL. Enclosure not found.
Barnes’s letter of 8 July 1817, not that of the 11th, dealt with the issue of payment for Louis A. Leschot. A letter from TJ to Barnes, not found, is recorded in SJL as written 29 July 1817 from Monticello.
1. Omitted closing parenthesis editorially supplied.
- banks; in New York search
- Barnes, John; handles financial transactions search
- Barnes, John; letters from search
- Barnes, John; letters to accounted for search
- boats; steamboats search
- books; binding of for TJ search
- Gray, William Fairfax; and transmission of packages to and from TJ search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; works sent to search
- Leschot, Louis A.; payment to search
- Milligan, Joseph; binds books for TJ search
- Smith, Richard; as cashier of office of discount and deposit search
- steamboats; in Va. search