To Nicolas G. Dufief
Monticello Mar. 31. 17.
I am unlucky in the dictionaries I recieve from you, this being the 2d time I believe that I have recieved them with a false half sheet, from the carelessness of the binder. the 1st volume of the set last recieved had the 6. leaves now returned instead of the 6. from ‘Notopede—to Onglee’ inclusive, which I shall be glad to recieve from you in exchange for those inclosed.
RC (ViU: TJP); at foot of text: “M. Dufief.” PoC (DLC); on verso of reused address cover of otherwise unlocated letter from Archibald Thweatt to TJ, 19 Feb. 1817 (addressed: “Thomas Jefferson esq: Monticello Albemarle county Va”; franked; postmarked Richmond, 21 Feb.; recorded in SJL as received 23 Feb. 1817 from Richmond); endorsed by TJ.
For TJ’s earlier problems with defects in dictionaries from Dufief, see TJ to Dufief, 22 Aug. 1813, and Dufief to TJ, 6, 29 Sept. 1813. The leaves now returned from Dufief, A New Universal and Pronouncing Dictionary of the French and English Languages, 3 vols. (Philadelphia, 1810; Sowerby, description begins E. Millicent Sowerby, comp., Catalogue of the Library of Thomas Jefferson, 1952–59, 5 vols. description ends no. 4822; Poor, Jefferson’s Library description begins Nathaniel P. Poor, Catalogue. President Jefferson’s Library, 1829 description ends , 14 [no. 881]), have not been identified. TJ was missing vol. 1, pp. 541–52.
- A New Universal and Pronouncing Dictionary of the French and English Languages (N. G. Dufief) search
- books; binding of search
- books; dictionaries search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; A New Universal and Pronouncing Dictionary of the French and English Languages search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; letters to search
- French language; dictionaries search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; binding of books search
- Thweatt, Archibald; letters from accounted for search