To Samuel L. Mitchill
Monticello Feb. 20. 17.
Th: Jefferson returns his thanks to Dr Mitchell for the print of Asiatic antiquities he has been so kind as to send him, which, however unintelligible to him, is still a curiosity. he is happy in the occasion it has presented of a mutual recognition of former fellowship in service, and of renewing to him the assurance of his constant esteem & respect.
RC (Christie’s, New York City, 1992); dateline at foot of text; addressed: “The honble Doctor Mitchell of Congress now at Washington”; franked; postmarked Charlottesville, 21 Feb.; redirected in an unidentified hand to “New York”; endorsed by Mitchill as received 28 Feb. 1817. PoC (DLC); on verso of portion of reused address cover to TJ; endorsed by TJ.
- Antiquities from Asia, brought to New-York in Jan. 1817, by Capt. Henry Austin, and now at Dr. Mitchill’s search
- cuneiform; characters reproduced in print search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; receives works search
- Mitchill, Samuel Latham; letters to search
- Mitchill, Samuel Latham; sends work to TJ search