To Patrick Gibson
Monticello Dec. 28. 16.
A load of flour was sent off from hence a few days ago, and another will follow within two or three days. that from Bedford is of necessity later, it’s distance from Lynchburg rendering it impracticable to be sent there until they have done all their fall seeding. mr Yancey informs me he will not be able to get his tobacco down till March.
My grandson is the bearer of an order for 220.D. and I shall have to draw on you about the middle of next month for somewhere between 500. & 750.D. to pay for a purchase of corn. I salute you with great esteem & respect
PoC (DLC); on verso of reused address cover of James Freeman to TJ, 2 Oct. 1816; mutilated at seal; at foot of text: “Mr Gibson”; endorsed by TJ.
The order for $220 repaid TJ’s grandson Thomas Jefferson Randolph for loans to his grandfather of $155 and $50 on 17 and 18 Dec. 1816, respectively, reimbursed him $8 “for having had a gun of mine repaired” by Richard Garner, and left a balance of $7 in TJ’s favor (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1329, 1330).
- corn; TJ buys search
- firearms; repair of search
- flour; transported to Richmond search
- Garner, Richard; repairs gun search
- Gibson, Patrick; and TJ’s flour search
- Gibson, Patrick; and TJ’s tobacco search
- Gibson, Patrick; letters to search
- Gibson, Patrick; payments made for TJ search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; loan from T. J. Randolph search
- Monticello (TJ’s estate); flour from search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); flour from search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); Overseers at; send tobacco to Richmond search
- Randolph, Thomas Jefferson (TJ’s grandson; Jane Hollins Nicholas Randolph’s husband); loans TJ money search
- Richmond, Va.; flour shipped to search
- Richmond, Va.; tobacco shipped to search
- tobacco; transported to Richmond search
- Yancey, Joel (d.1833); as superintendent of Poplar Forest search