From Thomas Law
Washington Decr 19–1816—
Permit me to introduce to you Capn Hall a British officer of engaging manners, enlightened understanding & liberality of sentiment—He is travelling for amusement, & duly estimates the growing prosperity of this Country under a good Constitution.
That you may long enjoy otium cum dignitate, with the pleasing consciousness of having planned & aided to give success to this experimental Government is the earnest wish of Yrs
RC (DLC); dateline at foot of text; endorsed by TJ as received 7 Jan. 1817 and so recorded in SJL.
- Constitution, U.S.; mentioned search
- Hall, Francis; introduced to TJ search
- Hall, Francis; visits Monticello search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Correspondence; letters of introduction to search
- Law, Thomas; introduces F. Hall to TJ search
- Law, Thomas; letters from search
- Monticello (TJ’s estate); Visitors to; Hall, Francis search