From Robert Patterson
Philadelphia Decr 13, 16.
A considerable time ago, you made some enquiries relative to a good clock & watch-maker, who, you suggested, might advantageously settle in your neighbourhood. Neither then, nor since, till the other day, could I hear of one that I could recommend, who was willing to make the trial.
From the enclosed letter, you will be able to judge whether the persons therein Recommended by mr Hassler, would be likely to succeed in the place you mentioned. Any agency which I could exercise in this business, you may freely command.
RC (MHi); endorsed by TJ as received 30 Dec. 1816 and so recorded in SJL. RC (CSmH: JF); address cover only; with PoC of TJ to John Wayles Eppes, 6 Mar. 1817, on verso; addressed: “Thomas Jefferson Monticello Va”; stamp canceled; franked; postmarked Philadelphia, 13 Dec.
- Charlottesville, Va.; watchmaker needed in search
- Hassler, Ferdinand Rudolph; and watchmaker for Charlottesville search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Correspondence; letters of application and recommendation to search
- patronage; letters of application and recommendation to TJ search
- Patterson, Robert; and watchmaker for Charlottesville search
- Patterson, Robert; letters from search