To DeWitt Clinton
Nov. 24. 16.
I thank you for the copy of your discourse which you have been so kind as to send me, and have read with pleasure the luminous view you have presented of the value of the Fine arts in human society. the example of Athens which you adduce, is certainly a weighty one, shewing the splendor to which they raised so small a territory & within so short a period of time. I rejoice to see the spirit of science manifesting itself so strongly in the city of New York. it is worthy the station she holds among us to distinguish among the fruits of commerce and wealth, the luxuries of science as well as of the sensualities.
The papers recently announce to us the death of my old acquaintance Gouverneur Morris. genius has lost in him one of it’s distinguished subjects. it is a consolation to understand that he leaves his family in affluent circumstances. I salute you with great esteem and respect.
RC (NNC: Clinton Papers); addressed: “De Witt Clinton esq. New York”; franked; postmarked Lynchburg, 27 Nov.; endorsed by Clinton. PoC (DLC); on verso of a reused address cover to David Bailie Warden, postmarked Le Havre, 11 July 1816; endorsed by TJ.
A letter from Clinton to TJ of 31 Oct. 1816, not found, is recorded in SJL as received from New York at Poplar Forest on 21 Nov. 1816. It apparently enclosed a copy of A Discourse, delivered before the American Academy of the Arts, by the Honourable De Witt Clinton, LL. D. (President.) 23d October, 1816 (New York, 1816; Poor, Jefferson’s Library description begins Nathaniel P. Poor, Catalogue. President Jefferson’s Library, 1829 description ends , 6 [no. 223]; TJ’s copy in DLC: Rare Book and Special Collections).
- A Discourse, delivered before the American Academy of the Arts (D. Clinton) search
- Athens; TJ on search
- Clinton, DeWitt; A Discourse, delivered before the American Academy of the Arts search
- Clinton, DeWitt; letter from accounted for search
- Clinton, DeWitt; letters to search
- Greece, ancient; TJ on search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; receives works search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Opinions on; science, American search
- Morris, Gouverneur; death of search
- Morris, Gouverneur; TJ on search
- New York (city); advancement of science in search
- New York (state); advancement of science in search
- science; advancement of in N.Y. search