From William H. Crawford
Washington 28th oct. 1816
Your letter recommending Mr Armistead for an appointment in the war department has been duly Recd by the mail. Several vacancies exist in the Accountants office, but owing to the unfortunate death of Colo Lear will Not be filled until that office is filled.
Mr Armistead will be Recommended to the Person vested with the Right of appointment, as Soon as he is Known
His baptismal name has been communicated by Governor Nicholas.
Your letter of the 20th inst to my Predecessor in office, has also been Received. As Soon as the Resignation of Mr Armistead is Recd Mr Minor will be appointed, unless objections should be made by the President, which is highly improbable.
As long as I remain in the cabinet it will afford me great pleasure to receive any communications from you, even if they should be confined to recommendations for office.
Wm H Crawford
RC (DLC); endorsed by TJ as received 7 Nov. 1816 and so recorded in SJL. RC (DLC); address cover only; with PoC of TJ to Nicolas G. Dufief, 1 Jan. 1817, on verso; addressed: “Thomas Jefferson late President of the U.S. Monticello Virginia”; franked; postmarked Washington City, 29 Oct.
At the time of his death on 11 Oct. 1816, Tobias Lear was accountant to the War Department. James Madison appointed William Lee to fill that office the following January (ANB description begins John A. Garraty and Mark C. Carnes, eds., American National Biography, 1999, 24 vols. description ends ; JEP description begins Journal of the Executive Proceedings of the Senate of the United States description ends , 3:70, 73 [16, 28 Jan. 1817]). Crawford had recently given up the post of secretary of war and become secretary of the treasury. His predecessor in the latter office was Alexander J. Dallas (Washington Daily National Intelligencer, 21 Oct. 1816).
- Armistead, William (ca.1773–1840); seeks federal appointment search
- Armistead, William (of Amherst Co.); rumored resignation of search
- Crawford, William Harris; and appointments search
- Crawford, William Harris; letters from search
- Dallas, Alexander James; and appointments search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Correspondence; letters of application and recommendation from search
- Lear, Tobias; death of search
- Lee, William (1772–1840); as War Department accountant search
- Madison, James (1751–1836); and appointments search
- Minor, Peter; and appointment of principal assessor search
- Nicholas, Wilson Cary (1761–1820); and appointment for W. Armistead search
- patronage; letters of application and recommendation from TJ search
- War Department, U.S.; accountants in search