From John Barnes
George Town 21h Octr 1816.
Your much Esteemed favr so Anxiously expected together with the inclosiers—Viz the good Genls Letter dated Soleure April last, as well his Original and general power of Attorney to you, with substitution &c—all of which shall be duly Attended to.—and no doubt with me—can be Obtruded—or raised—against their being Admitted to be of suff: Validity, for me to receive1—thro you—the present and future Interest or Dividends Arising from his present Stocks—Nor shall I suffer the Genls original power of Atty—out of my hands. but Attested Copies thereof—to be lodged—at the several Offices—or Banks from whence I am to receive2 all such Int or dividends.3 and to return to you the Originals together, with the generals private Letter to you—
The Necessary proceedings to effect these desirable4 objects will require some time. mean while I am preparing my self to effect a further Remittance of £200 Ster at all events (tho short of his Nt balle in hand) 1h favble Opportunity: that offers in a purchase and Conveyance—
I judged it Necessary—at this Instant to Acknowledge these receipts—and when Matured—to advise you the Result
Most Respectfully and with greatest Esteem.
RC (ViU: TJP-ER); at foot of text: “Thomas Jefferson Esqr Monticello”; endorsed by TJ as received 31 Oct. 1816 and so recorded in SJL.
The much esteemed favr so anxiously expected was TJ’s first letter to Barnes of 12 Oct. 1816. For the good genls letter, see Tadeusz Kosciuszko to TJ, Apr. 1816. nt balle: “net balance.” The note concerning Joseph Milligan was probably TJ to Barnes, 12 Oct. 1816 (second letter).
1. Manuscript: “recive.”
2. Manuscript: “recive.”
3. Manuscript: “divendends.”
4. Manuscript: “desiable.”
- A Treatise on Political Economy (Destutt de Tracy) search
- Barnes, John; and Destutt de Tracy’sTreatise on Political Economy search
- Barnes, John; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Barnes, John; letters from search
- Destutt de Tracy, Antoine Louis Claude; A Treatise on Political Economy search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; and J. Barnes search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; power of attorney from search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; remittances to search
- Milligan, Joseph; and Destutt de Tracy’sTreatise on Political Economy search
- political economy; works on search