To Patrick Gibson, with Jefferson’s Note
Monticello Oct. . 16.
The navigation of our river above McGruder’s locks having been suspended by their being out of order for 2. or 3. weeks past, and likely to continue so some days longer, I am obliged to send a small cart for a part of the wines which I expect have been lodged with you for me from Alexandria, New york & Norfolk. I give to the bearer a paper of directions what parcels I would prefer that he should bring. what he cannot bring will be called for by Gilmore or Johnson as soon as they can pass the locks. I have had flour waiting in our mill for some time which will go on as soon as the locks can be passed. I am the more anxious for this as calls for our taxes are now coming on us, and it is the season for favorable purchases of corn, which the scanty crop will render scarce and high. Accept the assurance of my great esteem & respect
The following articles are, as I expect, now deposited with mr Gibson.
from Alexandria. 2. cases of wine, 50. bottles in each. there were 4. two of which the bearer brought away before.
|from Norfolk.||1. barrel 38. gallons.|
|from New York.||2. cases||B. No 1. and 2. TI. of 12. bottles each.|
|1. do||C. No 1. of||30. bottles.|
|1. do||25. bottles|
|1. do||57. bottles|
|1. basket Maccaroni.|
|there will come further||from New York a package of books.|
|&||from Baltimore 2. cases of wine 57. bottles each.|
PoC (DLC); on verso of reused address cover of Theodorus Bailey to TJ, 27 July 1816; ink stained; at foot of text: “Mr Gibson”; endorsed by TJ as a letter of 8 Oct. 1816 and so recorded in SJL.
mcgruder’s locks were located on the Rivanna River near the boundary between Albemarle and Fluvanna counties. Wormley Hughes was the bearer (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1327). The paper of directions has not been found. our mill was TJ’s flour mill at Shadwell.
- boats; transfer goods to and from Richmond search
- carts; to transport wine search
- corn; as crop search
- corn; price of search
- flour; transported to Richmond search
- food; macaroni search
- Gibson, Patrick; and goods for TJ search
- Gibson, Patrick; and TJ’s flour search
- Gibson, Patrick; and wine acquired by TJ search
- Gibson, Patrick; letters to search
- Gilmore, Joseph; Milton boatman search
- Hughes, Wormley (TJ’s slave; b.1781); transports wine search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; works sent to search
- Johnson, William (waterman); transports goods from Richmond search
- macaroni; sent to TJ search
- Magruder, John Bowie; riverine locks of search
- Monticello (TJ’s estate); flour from search
- Richmond, Va.; boats transfer goods to and from search
- Richmond, Va.; flour shipped to search
- Rivanna River; locks on search
- Rivanna River; navigation of search
- Shadwell mills; flour from search
- taxes; TJ on search
- wine; sent to TJ search