To Elisha Ticknor
Monticello. Aug. 15. 16.
I have recieved two letters from your son, mr George Ticknor, dated Mar. 15. and Apr. 23. from which I learn with pleasure that he enjoys health and is so much satisfied with his situation at Gottingen that he has concluded to prolong his residence there a year. the account he gives me of the German literature is very interesting, and such as I had not been before apprised of. it seems well worthy of his avail and he is accordingly sowing the seed of what with his genius & industry will yield a rich harvest. he informs me he is about sending you some books, and that he will at the same time send a parcel for me to your address. it is this which gives you the trouble of this letter to request you will be so good on their arrival1 as to reship them to Richmond consigned to Messrs Gibson and Jefferson, my correspondents there, who will pay all articles of duties and charges which can be referred to that place: and indeed the freight & other charges from Europe if they can be referred to them wi[ll] perhaps be more promptly replaced: if this cannot be done and you will be so good as to drop me a line by mail, they shall be remitted immediately by myself if Richmond bank paper is recievable with you; if not recievable I will have the remittance made from Richmond. the kind office you hold between your son and myself requires many apologies and thanks which I must pray you to accept with indulgence, and to be assured of my great esteem & respect
PoC (MHi); on verso of reused address cover of John Adams to TJ, 6 May 1816; mutilated at seal; at foot of text: “Elisha Ticknor esq.”; endorsed by TJ.
1. Preceding three words interlined.
- Germany; scholarship in search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and books acquired by TJ search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); payments made for TJ search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; packing and shipping of search
- Ticknor, Elisha; and books for TJ search
- Ticknor, Elisha; letters to search
- Ticknor, George; and books for TJ search
- Ticknor, George; travels of search