To Charles Simms
Monticello July 12. 16.
I have just now recieved from mr William D. Simms of your office his letter of the 1st inst. informing me he had shipped my wines for Richmond, that you had been so kind as to pay the freight from Marseilles 13.40 D and that the duties were 27.30 D I have therefore by this day’s mail requested messrs Gibson & Jefferson of Richmond to remit you without delay 40.70 D which I hope you will immediately recieve; and with my thanks for your kindness & attention in this business I pray you to accept the assurance of my great respect
RC (University Archives, Stamford, Conn., 1996); at foot of text: “Colo Charles Simms.” PoC (MHi); on verso of reused address cover of John F. Dumoulin to TJ, 31 May 1816; endorsed by TJ.
- Cathalan, Stephen (Étienne) (1757–1819); and wine for TJ search
- France; wines from search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and wine acquired by TJ search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); payments made for TJ search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; orders wine from S. Cathalan search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; payments to C. Simms search
- Simms, Charles; as collector at Alexandria search
- Simms, Charles; letters to search
- Simms, William Douglass; forwards wine to TJ search
- wine; French search
- wine; TJ orders from S. Cathalan search