To John Steele
Monticello June 9. 16.
Your favor of the 1st instant is just now recieved, and I have immediately requested messrs Gibson & Jefferson, my correspondents at Richmond, to remit you the sum of 16.80 D the amount of the duties & charges on the two cases you have been so kind as to forward for me to them; which sum1 they will readily find the means of remitting from that place. Accept my thanks for your kindness and the assurance of my great esteem & respect
PoC (MHi); on verso of reused cover of an otherwise unidentified account of David Higginbotham with TJ; at foot of text: “Mr John Steele”; endorsed by TJ.
1. TJ here canceled “you.”
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); payments made for TJ search
- Higginbotham, David; TJ’s account with search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; account with D. Higginbotham search
- Steele, John; and packages for TJ search
- Steele, John; letters to search
- Steele, John; TJ pays search