To Patrick Gibson
Monticello May 15. 16.
On my return from Bedford on the 3d inst. I found here your favor of Apr. 27. and that of the 10th inst. is now recieved, inclosing an account of sales of my flour. I am glad it is so well sold, as I had begun to apprehend worse. while in Bedford I drew on you in favor of mr Robertson for 153. D 33 c and still owe there (for the last of the month)1 120.D. about the same period I shall need here for taxes & neighborhood debts about 200.D. which will I believe close my wants of the year till new resources come in. I return the note for the bank with my signature, and the assurances of my great esteem & respect
PoC (Mrs. T. Wilber Chelf, Mrs. Virginius Dabney, and Mrs. Alexander W. Parker, Richmond, 1944; photocopy in ViU: TJP); on verso of reused address cover of Jesse Torrey to TJ, 6 Apr. 1816; at foot of text: “Mr Gibson”; endorsed by TJ. Enclosure not found.
TJ drew an order in favor of Archibald Robertson for $153.53 on 30 Apr. 1816 for payment of $100.20 to Charles Clay for corn and $53.33 for expenses incurred in connection with the enrollment of TJ’s grandson Francis Eppes at the New London Academy near Poplar Forest (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1322).
1. Omitted closing parenthesis editorially supplied.
- Bank of Virginia (Richmond); TJ’s loan from search
- Clay, Charles; sells corn to TJ search
- corn; TJ buys search
- Eppes, Francis Wayles (TJ’s grandson); education of, at New London Academy search
- Eppes, Francis Wayles (TJ’s grandson); TJ’s relationship with search
- flour; sale of search
- Gibson, Patrick; and TJ’s flour search
- Gibson, Patrick; letters to search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and TJ’s bank and promissory notes search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; account with A. Robertson search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; loan from Bank of Virginia search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; payments to C. Clay search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; payments to New London Academy search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; pays taxes search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Family & Friends; relations with grandchildren search
- Monticello (TJ’s estate); taxes on search
- New London, Va.; academy at search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); TJ returns from search
- Robertson, Archibald; account with TJ search
- schools and colleges; New London Academy search
- taxes; TJ pays search