From Joseph Miller
Norfolk Febry 29th 1816—
yours of the 17 I Recd yesterday with Pleasure—Mr Murry has Sent me a Copey of the Law Mr Hayes has Taken me in but Not So Much as I thought of it will be from 1600 17001 Dollrs the Deeds of Every thing I have Got Safe but he had the Goodness to offer the houses for Saile Privitely for Cash the Week before he Left he Baught a very fine Schr and a Cargo of Tobaco with Others Articles Cleared her out for New york a Frinch Captain on Board no one in Norfolk had the Least Idea on him, is Famuly and him went on Board he Told people is Famuly was Going to New york and he was Going Down the Bay he Sent a Gigg to Bring him Back the, Pillot Went out of the Capes with them and the Pillot Left he Said He woold Go on and See how the Schor sailed—it was 3 Days before the Newes Cam[e] but where thay have Gon no Person Knows but he Left 120000 Dollrs to Pay and nothing to Pay it with I have Got Sum Corks from New york Very Good ones I will Send them by the first Vesoll that Comes to Richmond—I will Offer Sume Part of the Properity for Sale Next Week—But thes Place is Verry Dull Nothing Dowing but Merchents Stoping Every Other Day and I am afraid It Will be Sume Time before thes Place Recover its Selfe—
RC (DLC); corner torn; at head of text: “Mr Jefferson”; endorsement by TJ torn. RC (MHi); address cover only; with PoC of TJ to John Vaughan, 7 Apr. 1816, on verso; addressed: “Thos Jefferson Esqr Monticello Milton Albemarle County”; stamped; postmarked Norfolk, 1 Mar. Recorded in SJL as received 5 Mar. 1816.
mr murry: Thomas W. Maury.
1. Word interlined.
- An Act vesting in Joseph Miller the Commonwealth’s right to the real and personal estate of which Thomas Reed died seised and possessed (1816) search
- corks; sent to TJ search
- Hayes, Joseph; business partner of J. Miller search
- household articles; corks search
- Maury, Thomas Walker; and petition of J. Miller search
- Miller, Joseph; An Act vesting in Joseph Miller the Commonwealth’s right to the real and personal estate of which Thomas Reed died seised and possessed (1816) search
- Miller, Joseph; and corks for TJ search
- Miller, Joseph; and Norfolk property search
- Miller, Joseph; letters from search
- Norfolk, Va.; economy of search
- Reed, Thomas (brother of Joseph Miller); estate of search
- tobacco; sale of search