Auditor’s Report on the Purchase of Thomas Jefferson’s Library
Treasury Department Auditors Office Februy 21st1 1816
I have examined and adjusted an Account between the United States and Thomas Jefferson in relation to the Sale of his Library, and find that he is chargeable on said account
To Treasury Warrants for amount of the following issued in his favor Viz
|No||8584 dated 21 April 1815||✓||8580|
|8585 〃 〃 〃 〃||✓||4870|
|8611 〃 4 May 〃||✓||10500|
|Dollars ✓ 23950|
I also find that he is entitled to Credit on said account
By Amount of the Purchase of his Library as Authorised by Act of Congress of the 30th of Januy 1815 Dollars ✓ 23950
As appears from the Statement and Vouchers herewith transmitted for the decision of the Comptroller of the Treasury thereon
R. Harrison Auditor
MS (DLC: TJ Papers, 206:36700B); in Patrick Ferrall’s hand, signed by Richard Harrison, with check marks in an unidentified hand; adjacent to signature: “To Joseph Anderson Esq Comptroller of the Treasury”; with subjoined note signed by Anderson at the Comptroller’s Office, 21 Feb. 1816: “Admitted & Certified”; redirected beneath that “To Jos: Nourse Esqr Register”; stamped on verso: “registered”; docketed on verso, in Ferrall’s hand: “Auditors Report On the Account of Thomas Jefferson,” and in one or more unidentified hands: “31.537” and “Regd Entered 23d Feby 1816 blotter Page 55”; initialed on verso by Andrew Ross, clerk in the Comptroller’s Office.
treasury warrants numbers 8584, 8585, and 8611, in the sums and with the dates given above and totaling $23,950, were certified in the Register’s Office by John D. Barclay on 20 Feb. 1816 (MS in DLC: TJ Papers, 206:36700A; in Barclay’s hand and signed by him; docketed on verso: “Registers Certificate Thomas Jefferson relative to the Sale of his Library”).
On 20 Feb. 1816 Patrick Ferrall, principal clerk in the Auditor’s Office, drew up a statement of TJ’s account with the United States Treasury corresponding in its particulars with the report above (MS in DLC: TJ Papers, 206:36700C–D; in Ferrall’s hand; with subjoined certification by Ross, 21 Feb. 1816; docketed on verso by Ferrall: “Statement of the Accots of Thomas Jefferson” and in one or more unidentified hands: “31.537” and “Entered 23 Feby 1816 blotter Page 55”; initialed on verso by Ross).
1. Word added in an unidentified hand.
2. Word added in an unidentified hand.
- Anderson, Joseph; comptroller of the Treasury search
- Barclay, John D.; certifies Treasury Department warrants search
- Ferrall, Patrick; Treasury Department clerk search
- Harrison, Richard (auditor of the treasury); Auditor’s Report on the Purchase of TJ’s Library search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; Auditor’s Report on the Purchase of TJ’s Library search
- Library of Congress; auditor’s report on purchase of TJ’s library search
- Nourse, Joseph; as register of U.S. Treasury search
- Ross, Andrew; Treasury Department clerk search
- Treasury Department, U.S.; and sale of TJ’s library to Congress search