To Albert Gallatin
Monticello Jan. 30. 16.
Mr Dabney Terril, a relation of mine (the grandson of my sister) wishing to finish his education in Europe, I have advised him to go to Geneva preferably to any other place. his foundation is a moderate progress in Latin French1 and Mathematics. he is 17. years of age, perfectly correct in his morals and deportment, amiable in his dispositions, and thirsty after knolege. his circumstances admit an expence of about 1000.D. a year. in a foreign country one wishes to be known as being somebody in their own country and to have access to some society of his own standing, as well for present enjoyment as to form some estimate of the state of society out of his own country. can you give him a letter or two to friends in Geneva which may answer these views? you will greatly oblige me by doing it, and by inclosing them to himself under the address of ‘Dabney Terril of Kentucky. to the care of George Stevenson esq. merchant at Baltimore,’ and put that if you please under an outer cover addressed to mr Stevenson himself. mr Terril will be in Baltimore within 10. days from this date to go on board2 the first vessel bound to any port of France, or Holland; so that no time will be to be lost in writing & forwarding the letters I ask. ever and affectionately
RC (NHi: Gallatin Papers); addressed: “Albert Gallatin esq New York”; franked; postmarked Milton, 31 Jan.; endorsed by Gallatin. PoC (DLC); on verso of reused address cover to TJ; endorsed by TJ.
Dabney C. Terrell was the grandson of TJ’s sister Martha Jefferson Carr.
1. Word interlined.
2. TJ here canceled “any.”
- Carr, Martha Jefferson (TJ’s sister); family of search
- Gallatin, Albert; and recommendations for D. C. Terrell search
- Gallatin, Albert; letters of introduction to search
- Gallatin, Albert; letters to search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Correspondence; letters of introduction from search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Family & Friends; relations with D. C. Terrell search
- Stevenson, George Pitt; and recommendations for D. C. Terrell search
- Terrell, Dabney Carr (TJ’s sister Martha Jefferson Carr’s grandson); letters of introduction for search
- Terrell, Dabney Carr (TJ’s sister Martha Jefferson Carr’s grandson); TJ recommends search