From John Barnes
George Town 19th Jany 1816—
My last inquiry respecting the good Genl K. was of the 18th Novr last. since when, nothing has transpired with me, to direct, in what mode I should proceed, in Order to transmit him Via London, or Amsterdam—a further Remittance in Course of a Mo or two—I have already Interest on hand, to the Amot of $113065/ exclusive of his Principal $4.500 in Treasury Notes. bearing 5⅔ Int. due & payable 16th April next. of Course my Anxiety for information increases. Nevertheless, Messrs Baring Brothers & Co in London, no doubt Corrispond with the Genl—nor should I hesitate, to remit him thro those Gents—mean while Request the favr of you to advise and direct me, thereupon—as well respecting—the Treasury Notes—
I am Dear Sir
RC (ViU: TJP-ER); at foot of text: “Thomas Jefferson Esqr Monticello”; endorsed by TJ as received 27 Jan. 1816 and so recorded in SJL.
genl k.: Tadeusz Kosciuszko.
- Baring Brothers & Company (London firm); and remittances to T. Kosciuszko search
- Barnes, John; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Barnes, John; letters from search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; remittances to search
- Treasury Department, U.S.; treasury notes search