From Stephen Cathalan
Marseilles the 6th January 1816—
My Dear sir & Respected Friend!
I answered on the 29th novber last to your Favor of the 16th august, & at Last your’s of the 3 July Last reached me Thro’ Bordeaux under Cover of Col. Fenwick, on the 26th Dber ulto—it being Snt Stephen’s Day I Received it with Great pleasure, and as a nosegay—I am very gratefull for your kind expressions towards me & family, Begging you to Rely on the Sincerity of my Best wishes for you & yours;—The Ship Eagle1 being under sails for Philada I cannot write you as fully as I would wish, it will be very Soon;—
in the meantime I Inform you that I have ordered to Mr Jourdan of Tains the white hermitage wine, to Messrs Pre Mages &ce of nice (Successors, to Mr Sasserno who died about 18 months ago of an appoplexy) the old of wine of nice, & to Mr fois Durand de Perpignan the Red wine de Roussillon, that you have ordered to me, transmitting Respectively to Each of them a litteral traduction of or about the exact quality, taste & flavour of those wines as mentioned in your Letter to me, & I hope, that Soon I will be Able to Send you the whole with the Maccarony, by Some Aman vessel Bound for New york—Boston or Philada, being none now into this Port for the cheasapeack.
if I could have found here fresh & Good Maccarony of Naples, or Sestri on the River of Genoa, I would have Sent it by this opportunity but there is none such in this moment in Town & Soon expected;
Please to excuse me for Such a Short Letter, but I apprehend to miss this opportunity, I having been much busied to dispatch this & other aman vessels Since the Receipt of your kind Favour—
I have the honor to be with a Great Respect
RC (MHi); at foot of first page: “Thos Jefferson Esqr”; endorsed by TJ as received 30 Mar. 1816 and so recorded in SJL. RC (MoSHi: TJC-BC); address cover only; with PoC of TJ to James Warrell, 2 June 1816, on verso; addressed: “Thos Jefferson Esqr Late President of the united States Monticello Virginia”; stamped “SHIP”; franked; postmarked Philadelphia, 25 Mar.
traduction: “translation.” The river of genoa is the Italian Riviera (OED description begins James A. H. Murray, J. A. Simpson, E. S. C. Weiner, and others, eds., The Oxford English Dictionary, 2d ed., 1989, 20 vols. description ends ).
1. Word interlined in place of “Cupid.”
- Cathalan, Stephen (Étienne) (1757–1819); and wine for TJ search
- Cathalan, Stephen (Étienne) (1757–1819); letters from search
- Durand, François; and wine for TJ search
- Eagle (ship) search
- Fenwick, Joseph; conveys letters search
- food; macaroni search
- Hermitage (wine); TJ orders search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; orders wine from S. Cathalan search
- Jourdan, Mr. (French winemaker) search
- macaroni; TJ orders search
- Nice; wine from search
- Pierre Mages & Compagnie; and wine for TJ search
- Roussillon, France; wine from search
- Sasserno, Victor; death of search
- wine; Hermitage search
- wine; of Nice search
- wine; of Roussillon search
- wine; TJ orders from S. Cathalan search