La Grange Xber 28h 1815
My dear friend
The Bearer of these Lines is Mr Lakanal Member of the french institut, officer of the University and inspector General of the New Metrical System who abandons those functions and a Handsome treatment to Become a Settler in the State of Kentucky. He Has for Several years been in the Representative Assemblies of france, and is Going to Seeck in the U.S. Liberty, Security, and Happiness. I Cannot procure for Him a Greater Gratification than by introducing Him to you, and I know you will find a pleasure in favouring Him with your Advices and Recommendations for the part of the Country Where He means to Settle Himself and family.
after a short excursion into public life I am Returned to my Rural Retirement in a Situation not unlike that which prevented my Accepting your kind invitation. I Have not for a very long while Heard from you and eagerly Beg you to write were it only for a line.
RC (DLC); endorsed by TJ as received 10 July 1816 and so recorded in SJL. Enclosed in Joseph Lakanal to TJ, 1 June 1816.
In this context, treatment means “salary” or “emolument,” from the French “traitement” (OED description begins James A. H. Murray, J. A. Simpson, E. S. C. Weiner, and others, eds., The Oxford English Dictionary, 2d ed., 1989, 20 vols. description ends ). In an 1804 letter to TJ, Lafayette declined to settle on Louisiana lands given to him by the United States government, choosing to remain in rural retirement in France (Lafayette to TJ, 8 Oct. 1804 [PHi]).
- Institut de France; members of search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Correspondence; letters of introduction to search
- Lafayette, Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, marquis de; introduces J. Lakanal search
- Lafayette, Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, marquis de; land of, in La. search
- Lafayette, Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, marquis de; letters from search
- Lafayette, Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, marquis de; retirement of search
- Lakanal, Joseph; introduced by Lafayette search
- Lakanal, Joseph; moves to Ky. search