To Tristram Dalton
Monticello Oct. 13. 15.
I thank you for the two agricultural pamphlets you were so kind as to send me by the hands of General & mrs Dearborne; with which I was the more pleased as they gave me the sincere gratification of learning that you were well and situated to your own satisfaction. always sensible of your merit, I am equally so to your well-being. I have read mr Dexter’s publication on peat with great pleasure. it gives more information on that subject than we have before recieved from any other source; and I tender my portion of the public1 obligation to him for it. I found many other interesting pieces in the magazine. I have had the happiness of possessing Genl & mrs Dearborne here a few days, but quite too few. these revivals of antient feelings are peculiarly grateful to old age: for I find that our friendships, like our wines, improve with time. I hope mrs Dalton & yourself enjoy health and contentment, and that she as well as yourself will be so good as to accept the tender of my sincere esteem and respect.
RC (CtY: Franklin Collection); addressed: “Tristram Dalton esq. Boston”; franked; postmarked Charlottesville, 18 Oct.; endorsed by Dalton as received 25 Oct. 1815. PoC (DLC); on verso of reused address cover of Dabney Carr to TJ, 9 Aug. 1815; endorsed by TJ.
1. TJ here canceled “thanks.”
- agriculture; “Essays on the Natural History and Origin of Peat” (R. Rennie) search
- Dalton, Ruth Hooper (Tristram Dalton’s wife); TJ sends greetings to search
- Dalton, Tristram; letters to search
- Dalton, Tristram; sends pamphlets to TJ search
- Dearborn, Henry; conveys letters to TJ search
- Dearborn, Henry; visits Monticello search
- Dearborn, Sarah Bowdoin (James Bowdoin’s widow; Henry Dearborn’s third wife); conveys correspondence and publications to TJ search
- Dearborn, Sarah Bowdoin (James Bowdoin’s widow; Henry Dearborn’s third wife); visits Monticello search
- Dexter, Aaron; agricultural writings of search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; works sent to search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Opinions on; friendship search
- Massachusetts Agricultural Journal; sent to TJ search
- Monticello (TJ’s estate); Visitors to; Dearborn, Henry and Sarah Bowdoin search
- Rennie, Robert; “Essays on the Natural History and Origin of Peat” search
- wine; friendship compared to search
- “Essays on the Natural History and Origin of Peat” (R. Rennie) search