Receipt for Sale of Library
Recieved at the Treasury of the United States eight thousand five hundred and eighty Dollars, which with that of ten thousand five hundred Dollars ordered to be paid to William Short of Philadelphia, and four thousand eight hundred and seventy Dollars to John Barnes of George town will make up the full payment of the sum of twenty three thousand nine hundred and fifty Dollars appropriated by the act of Congress for the purchase of my library. Given under my hand this 23d day of April 1815.
PoC (DLC); entirely in TJ’s hand; with TJ’s calculation at foot of text that the numbers in the receipt added up correctly. Dft (DLC: TJ Papers, 203:36233); written on a scrap; with subjoined Dft of enclosure to TJ to John Barnes, 18 Apr. 1815; on verso of Dft of TJ to Alexander J. Dallas, 18 Apr. 1815. Enclosed in TJ to Dallas, 18 Apr. 1815.
- Barnes, John; TJ pays search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; debt to W. Short search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; payments to J. Barnes search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; Receipt for Sale of Library search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Writings; Receipt for Sale of Library search
- Library of Congress; TJ sells personal library to search
- Short, William; TJ’s debt to search