From Benjamin Smith Barton
March 6. 1815.
I return one of the vols. of Persoon. The other shall follow in a few days. I greatly regret the long keeping. an unpleasant accident, which it is unnecessary to mention particularly, was the cause of my so long depriving you of these books. It will be very grateful to me to learn, from you, in any way you please, of the safe return of these1 vols. For the loan of them, I am very much obligd to you;
B. S. Barton.
RC (DLC); dateline at foot of text; addressed: “To Thomas Jefferson, Esq., Monticello, Virginia”; franked; postmarked Philadelphia, 7 Mar.; endorsed by TJ as received 16 Mar. 1815 from Philadelphia and so recorded in SJL. Enclosure: Christiaan Hendrik Persoon, Synopsis Plantarum, seu Enchiridium Botanicum (Paris, 1805–07; Sowerby, description begins E. Millicent Sowerby, comp., Catalogue of the Library of Thomas Jefferson, 1952–59, 5 vols. description ends no. 1073; Poor, Jefferson’s Library description begins Nathaniel P. Poor, Catalogue. President Jefferson’s Library, 1829 description ends , 6 [no. 277]), vol. 2.
1. Barton here canceled “books.”
- Barton, Benjamin Smith; and books borrowed from TJ search
- Barton, Benjamin Smith; letters from search
- books; on botany search
- botany; books on search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; loans books search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; works sent to search
- Persoon, Christiaan Hendrik; Synopsis Plantarum, seu Enchiridium Botanicum search
- Synopsis Plantarum, seu Enchiridium Botanicum (C. H. Persoon) search