To the Federal Assessor for Rockbridge County
Monticello Feb. 11. 15.
I own a tract of land of 157. acres in the county of Rockbridge including the Natural bridge, which being liable to the tax laid by Congress it is my duty to give you notice of it. I have1 leased to Dr William Thornton of Richmond a site on it for a shot manufactory, and nothing being provided in the lease as to taxes, I propose to pay those on the land, as he will of whatever improvements he makes on it. I therefore ask the favor of you to make the assessments distinct that each of us may know our separate part altho’ he will in the first instance pay the whole.
Accept the assurance of my respect
PoC (MHi); on verso of reused address cover to TJ; at foot of text (mutilated): “Th[e] Assessor for the county of Rockbridge”; endorsed by TJ, with his notes above and below endorsement: “Taxes” and “inclosed under cover to Wm Caruthers.” Enclosed in TJ to William Caruthers, 11 Feb. 1815.
The assessor for rockbridge and Augusta counties was William Abney (U.S. Statutes at Large description begins Richard Peters, ed., The Public Statutes at Large of the United States … 1789 to March 3, 1845, 1845–67, 8 vols. description ends , 3:24 [22 July 1813]; JEP description begins Journal of the Executive Proceedings of the Senate of the United States description ends , 2:439, 440 [13, 20 Dec. 1813]). Thornton’s first name was Philip, not william.
1. Preceding two words interlined in place of “it is.”
- Abney, William; federal tax assessor search
- Caruthers, William; and assessor for Rockbridge Co. search
- Congress, U.S.; wartime taxes passed by search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; and lease of Natural Bridge search
- Natural Bridge, Va.; and shot manufactory search
- Natural Bridge, Va.; lease of search
- Natural Bridge, Va.; taxes on search
- Rockbridge County, Va.; assessor for search
- Rockbridge County, Va.; letter to federal assessor for search
- Rockbridge County, Va.; taxes in search
- shot manufacture search
- taxes; on land search
- taxes; on Natural Bridge search
- Thornton, Philip; and shot manufactory search
- Thornton, Philip; leases Natural Bridge from TJ search
- War of1812; U.S. financing of search