From John Barnes
George Town 10th Jany 1815.
Your favr 29th Ulto recd the 5th Covered, your Genl power of Atty—in my favr—the Accruing Int (Averaged.) from 10h July—to 31st Decr Amt $35832/100 I recd the 7h and passed, to the Credit of Genl Ks a/c—The two Certificates1 of said Stock—recites the following
|$11,36363/100||Thomas Jefferson of Virginia—or, his Assigns bearing Int 6 p Ct per Annm from 10th July 1814. inclusively payble Quarter Yearly. being stock Created p act of Congres[s] for a Loan of 25 Millions of Dolls passed the 24th March 1814. Redeemable at the pleasur[e] of Congress at any time After Decr 1825—|
|No 10||Also for||113636/100||Same Time & date for the 10 Ct advance—|
|12,49999/100||Equal to 80 for 100—say $12,500|
The above recited Certificates—are lodged—in safe Custerdy—in the Customhouse Iron chest. Subject—to your Order—
and, am, most Respectfully—
RC (ViU: TJP-ER); edge frayed; endorsed by TJ as received 16 Jan. 1815 and so recorded in SJL. RC (CSmH: JF); address cover only; with PoC of TJ to Thomas Munroe, 4 Mar. 1815, on verso; addressed: “Thomas Jefferson Esquire Monticello—Virginia”; franked; postmarked Georgetown, 11 Jan.
genl ks: Tadeusz Kosciuszko’s. According to the United States “act to authorize a loan for a sum not exceeding twenty-five millions of dollars,” the monies borrowed were to become redeemable after the last day of December 1826, not 1825 (U.S. Statutes at Large description begins Richard Peters, ed., The Public Statutes at Large of the United States … 1789 to March 3, 1845, 1845–67, 8 vols. description ends , 3:111–2).
1. Manuscript: “Certifiates.”
- An act to authorize a loan for a sum not exceeding twenty-five millions of dollars (1814) search
- Barnes, John; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Barnes, John; letters from search
- Barnes, John; TJ’s power of attorney to search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Writings; Power of Attorney to John Barnes search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; and investment in U.S. government loan search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; and J. Barnes search
- Treasury Department, U.S.; and government stock search