From Horatio G. Spafford
Washington City, 11 Mo. 25, 1814.
At length I have arrived in this city, exhausted with fatigue, having been travelling near 5 weeks. It is about 6 weeks since I crossed the St. Lawrence, on my return from Upper Canada, & I only rested one week at Albany. Under these circumstances, I regret to learn that it [is]1 much further than I had supposed, to Monticello. The winter is also approaching, & I feel in haste to return to the north. My wife writes me that on the 19th, it Snowed hard all day at Albany; & on the 20th was very cold. Still, could I know of thy being at home, & willing to spare some time for me, I could hardly persuade myself to return without seeing thee. Should it be so, please inform me, & to direct the best route & method of going to Monticello. My good friend the Vice President, is much missed by me. I have just returned from the Presidents’—he is unwell, confined to his room. I saw him, however, & he recieved me with kindness. I should like to belong to the number of his friends in this city, & the scanty number of those who cherish the interests of the country, with a good, hearty, old fashioned zeal. And I have the vanity to suppose I could do considerable toward promoting its cause. On this subject, I want to converse freely with thee. Pray have the goodness to let me hear from thee, as soon as may be practicable; & accept the assurances of my high esteem.
Horatio Gates Spafford.
RC (MHi); at foot of text: “Thomas Jefferson, Esq.”; endorsed by TJ as received 3 Dec. 1814 and so recorded in SJL.
vice president Elbridge Gerry had passed away two days earlier.
1. Omitted word editorially supplied.
- Gerry, Elbridge (1744–1814); death of search
- Madison, James (1751–1836); and H. G. Spafford search
- Madison, James (1751–1836); illness of search
- Monticello (TJ’s estate); requests for directions to search
- Spafford, Elizabeth Clark Hewitt (Horatio G. Spafford’s wife); reports weather conditions search
- Spafford, Horatio Gates; and J. Madison search
- Spafford, Horatio Gates; letters from search
- Spafford, Horatio Gates; visits Washington search
- Spafford, Horatio Gates; wishes to visit TJ search
- weather; cold search
- weather; snow search