To Thomas Hornsby
Monticello Aug. 22. 14.
Your letter of Jan. 9. was duly recieved. in that you are so kind as to inform me, on the subject of mrs Henderson’s permission to John Henderson to pass a canal thro’ the Dower lands near Milton, that there was among her papers an original release of John Henderson to her of all responsibility for any former right which she had given to any other person, & which might be a bar to that permission. this paper is so important to repel the fraudulent claim of Michie, that in order to obtain an authentication of it, I have taken out a commission from the court of Albemarle and inclosed it to Governor Greenup to have mrs Henderson’s deposition taken: and besides the establishment of this paper I wish her deposition to go to the fact you mention that her permission to John, both the verbal & written ones, were for no valuable consideration but merely voluntary, and generally to the transactions stated in the Extract inclosed from the deposition of her son James L. Hendersonwho was present with her when they passed. Govr Greenup will be so good as to appoint persons to take the deposition who can wait on mrs Henderson for the purpose, and Michie is notified that this will be done at her house on Tuesday the 11th of Oct. next. seeking nothing but truth and justice, I hope I am not unreasonable in requesting mrs Henderson to bear testimony to whatever she knows on the subject, and that you will be so good as to give any facility towards it in your power. Accept the tender of my esteem and respect.
RC (Mrs. Ethel A. Worsham, Jacksonville Beach, Fla., 1950); addressed: “Mr Thomas Hornsby near Frankfort Kentucky”; franked; with notation in Christopher Greenup’s hand: “NB: The extract of Mr James L. Hendersons Deposition will be forwarded to Mrs Hendersons on the 11th Octo next 1814 Christo Greenup.” PoC (ViU: TJP); endorsed by TJ. Enclosure not found.
A letter of this date from TJ to greenup, in which the above letter was probably enclosed, is recorded in SJL but has not been found. Missing letters from Greenup to TJ of 29 Apr., 1 Oct., and 9 Nov. 1814 are recorded in SJL as received from Frankfort on 13 May, 14 Oct., and 1 Dec. 1814, respectively.
- Greenup, Christopher; and depositions in Jefferson v. Michie search
- Greenup, Christopher; letters from accounted for search
- Greenup, Christopher; letters to accounted for search
- Henderson, Elizabeth Lewis (Bennett Henderson’s wife); and deposition in Jefferson v. Michie search
- Henderson, Elizabeth Lewis (Bennett Henderson’s wife); and Jefferson v. Michie search
- Henderson, James L.; deposition of search
- Henderson, John; and TJ’s land dispute with D. Michie search
- Hornsby, Thomas Walker; and Milton lands search
- Hornsby, Thomas Walker; letters to search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; dispute with D. Michie search
- Jefferson v. Michie; and depositions search
- Michie, David; and depositions on Henderson lands search
- Michie, David; Jefferson v. Michie search