To Nicolas G. Dufief
Monticello Aug. 16. 14.
The difficulty of remitting small & fractional sums to Philadelphia obliges me generally to wait till my debts there1 amount to something of a round sum, and then to ask the favor of some one of those to whom money is due to recieve the whole remittance and pay it out to the others. this favor I am obliged now to ask of you.
|I owe to J. F. Watson bookseller||11.||25|
|Bradford & Inskeep, do||68.||75|
|Wm Barton, Lancaster, (for Rittenh’s life)||18.|
|Genl Duane, 3. years of the Aurora||15|
besides what I am indebted to yourself. I have therefore desired mr Gibson of Richmond to remit to you 150.D. out of which I will request you to pay the above sums to the several persons, whom I shall desire, by letters to them, to call on you, that you may have as little trouble as possible. the balance which will remain be pleased to place to my credit with you. I will ask the favor of you to send me another copy of your Dictionary by mail, but separatim as heretofore; as also Brown’s history of the Shakers. pardon this trouble and accept the assurance of my esteem & respect.
RC (NjP: Andre deCoppet Collection); addressed: “Mr Nichs G. Dufief Philadelphia”; franked; postmarked Milton, 17 Aug. PoC (DLC); on verso of reused address cover to TJ; endorsed by TJ.
separatim: “apart, separately.” TJ acquired the first edition of Thomas brown’s An Account of the People called Shakers: their Faith, Doctrines, and Practice (Troy, N.Y., 1812; Sowerby, description begins E. Millicent Sowerby, comp., Catalogue of the Library of Thomas Jefferson, 1952–59, 5 vols. description ends no. 1707).
1. Word interlined.
- An Account of the People called Shakers (T. Brown) search
- A New Universal and Pronouncing Dictionary of the French and English Languages (N. G. Dufief) search
- Aurora (Philadelphia newspaper); TJ’s subscription to search
- Barton, William; Memoirs of the Life of David Rittenhouse search
- Bradford & Inskeep (Philadelphia firm); TJ pays search
- Brown, Thomas; An Account of the People called Shakers search
- Duane, William; TJ’s account with search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; account with TJ search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; A New Universal and Pronouncing Dictionary of the French and English Languages search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; bookseller search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; letters to search
- Gibson, Patrick; payments made for TJ search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; and newspaper subscriptions search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; account with N. G. Dufief search
- Memoirs of the Life of David Rittenhouse (W. Barton) search
- newspapers; Philadelphia Aurora search
- Philadelphia; Aurora search
- Rittenhouse, David; W. Barton’s memoir on search
- Watson, John Fanning; bookseller search