From John Barnes
George Town—18th May 1814
without which, I am unable to proceed a Step further, then to provide for the $2500—the first paymt to be made, 25th Inst. for this purpose I was Compell’d—to ask the favr of a friend—to indorse (for my Note of $1480)1—the last resort—the only inconvenence on this Occasion is—my friend—can—with equal propriety—Ask the like favr of me—(which Otherwise—I could with propriety refuse—at this eventfull Crisis). as the 25th June Approaches—I shall be Anxious to provide for it, lest some, unforeseen Accdt might—intervene—hope you had not left Monticello—for Bedford—ere mine of the 2d Inst had reached Milton—if unfortunately—you had set out—for Bedford.—the business might be so protracted as to hazard my effecting a Sale in time to make good—your 2d paymt—25th June—
I trust however, my fears will, in Course of a post or two—prove ground less—
inclosed I return you Genl Kosicuszko—letter,
RC (ViU: TJP-ER); at foot of text: “Thomas Jefferson Esqr Monticello”; endorsed by TJ as received 26 June 1814 and so recorded in SJL. Enclosure: Tadeusz Kosciuszko to TJ, 24 Jan. 1814.
1. Omitted closing parenthesis editorially supplied.
- Bank of Pennsylvania; stock owned by T. Kosciuszko search
- Barnes, John; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Barnes, John; letters from search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; and investment in U.S. government loan search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; Bank of Pennsylvania stock of search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); TJ plans visit to search