To John Barnes
Monticello Mar. 22. 14.
In August last I recieved from mr Rembrandt Peale 2. or 3. pieces of Agate which had been purchased for me, by some person in France, who says I desired him to purchase them while I was resident in France. I have totally forgotten it, & his name subscribed in his letter to me (now inclosd)1 being in illegible characters, I am unable to make out who it was who2 after so long an interval was so kind as to think of me, altho’ I had so long ago left the country. but he called on Genl Armstrong, left the articles with him, and he writes me that the General was so kind as to reimburse him their cost, which was 40. francs. this last circumstance is that alone which occasions my troubling you at present. it is to ask the favor of you to call on the General and refund to him whatever the amount is in our money, and to return him in my name a thousand cordial thanks for this kindness. the delay needs explanation. the articles were sent by the Genl in a box of books to the Pensylva Academy of fine arts in which they remained unnoticed, when mr R. Peale discovered & forwarded them to me. Genl Armstrong’s absence at the time on the frontiers occasioned my postponing the subject till his return, since which it had escaped my memory. with my respects to him be pleased to accept the assurance of my constant esteem.
PoC (CSmH: JF); at foot of text: “Mr John Barnes”; endorsed by TJ. Enclosure: Claude Antoine Prieur Duvernois to TJ, 5 Sept. 1810.
1. Parenthetical phrase added in margins.
2. In margin TJ here added “Prieur?”
- agate search
- Armstrong, John; and minerals for TJ search
- Armstrong, John; as secretary of war search
- Armstrong, John; TJ reimburses search
- Barnes, John; handles financial transactions search
- Barnes, John; letters to search
- Duvernois, Claude Antoine Prieur; sends minerals to TJ search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; reimburses J. Armstrong search
- Peale, Rembrandt; forwards minerals to TJ search
- Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts (Philadelphia) search